Around the Ring returns to weekly wrestling podcast duties with host Dave Brown. This week discussing the current state of WWE programming on Raw and SmackDown, predictions for the Hell in a Cell PPV, thoughts on the greatness of NXT, how ROH should try to position itself as the alternative, and which wrestling podcasts are my favorites.
**UPDATE 10/26/14** Well apparently the show didn’t record anything that I said so this week’s episode is nonexistent. Here’s the gist of what you missed.
Hell in a Cell Predictions —
- Gold & Stardust vs. The Usos (Tag Team Title):
- Winner = Gold & Stardust
- Brie Bella vs. Nikki Bella (Loser is the winner’s personal assistant [i.e. bitch] for a month)
- Winner = Nikki Bella
- Sheamus vs. The Miz (United States Title)
- Winner = Miz with assist from Damien Mizdow
- AJ Lee vs. Page (Divas Title)
- Winner = AJ Lee
- Dolph Ziggler vs. Cesaro (Intercontinental Title; Best two out of three falls)
- Winner = Cesaro
- Big Show vs. Rusev
- Winner = Rusev
- John Cena vs. Randy Orton (Winner gets a shot at the WWE World Heavyweight Title)
- Randy Orton
- Dean Ambrose vs. Seth Rollins
- Winner = Either Ambrose after interference from Orton or Rollins
How I Would Book It —
Here is how I would book the PPV and the following Raw.
- Miz over Sheamus
- Rusev over Big Show
- Cesaro over Ziggler
- Orton over Cena with a backstage segment of the Authority congratulating Orton, after everyone leaves, Rollins leaves out Orton saying “It’s my time.”
- Ambrose over Rollins after Orton gets involved
- Cesaro/Ziggler rematch opens show with Cesaro barely retaining and the two shaking hands after the match
- Miz finds Ziggler after the match and mocks him for losing. Ziggler tells Miz that he wouldn’t be US champ without Mizdow’s help. Mizdow agrees but Miz goes off on Ziggler. This leads to a Ziggler/Miz match for the US Title that Ziggler wins after help from Mizdow beginning a Miz/Mizdow program.
- Rusev eventually challenges Ziggler for the US Title saying that he beat Zig when he was the IC champ and never got a title shot. This leads to Rusev winning the US Title and holding that until at least WrestleMania.
- Cena comes to the ring and calls out Orton. Cena talks about their parallel careers and rivalries and then offers his hand out of respect. Orton accepts as Rollins music hits and he comes out. Rollins talks about being the future and how Cena and Orton and old and washed up. Cesaro’s music hits and he comes out saying that he is the real future of the WWE, especially since he is the only one holding any gold. Cesaro talks about Brock Lesnar being an absentee champion and that with him being a part-timer, that by default makes the IC Title THE belt. Triple H’s music hits and he comes out to make two matches: 1) Rollins vs. Orton and 2) Cesaro vs. Cena.
- Rollins goes over Orton after the Authority interferes. Orton eventually will snap and go after the Authority, setting up a program with Rollins.
- Cesaro goes over Cena in a clean win. At the end, Cena shakes Cesaro’s hand and holds it up as Ambrose walks out and stares them both down. This would lead to an either an Ambrose/Cesaro or Ambrose/Cena program.
My Favorite Wrestling Podcasts —
We will be back next Sunday with another edition of Around the Ring; hopefully this time it will actually work. Be safe out there everyone.